Lesson 2: Lifestyle Choices
What's Important to You?
Your unique values and desires play a huge role in finding the right position. Fancy facilities and high salaries can be tempting, but don’t let them sway you from the job that is the right fit for you culturally. If you’re not happy where you are, all the money in the world won’t matter.
Target your search based on options that are best for you and your family. Examine your priorities and be ready to weigh the pros and cons of potential roles.
- Compare cost of living and real estate prices in areas you’re considering.
- Explore employment, volunteering and community opportunities for your spouse or significant other in the new location.
- Research the schools and extracurriculars for your children.
- Think about the type of practice that makes you feel personally fulfilled, whether that involves:
- Helping underserved communities.
- Seeing a variety of ages or types of cases.
- Working more independently or being part of a close-knit team.
- Being part of teaching programs.
- Keep your mind open. Think about places you’ve never seen before.
Career Guide Lessons